The last few days have been very awkward. I spent a lot of time trying to catch bugs, most often by dumping everything that could be dumped (which, in a software as big as parrot, means a lot) and using vim to browse the 100,000 lines files that resulted, trying to find errors. I also rewrote a lot of code, including all the compaction and most of the marking...
However, after all this, I managed to reduce the make test errors to only 10 on 2758 (yes, that's 99.64%), and at least 4 of them are due to the timely destruction code not working (but I couldn't yet find why).
Now that it's released, I feel very relieved about getting it (almost) done in time (that was pretty close, I couldn't have gone any faster) and I really hope there won't be too many bugs and that leo will be able to merge it soon to trunk (but make test will need to be at 100% first).
It's only then that we will be able to see if it is a real benefit !