Nattfodd SoC

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

GMC Update

It's been a pretty long time since I last wrote something here, and many things happened :

first, leo made many comments on GMC for dummies, which led to a much better design, and something closer to what he had in head for gmc. Main topics that were concerned were placement of objects, the structure of gmc_gc_obj (and specifically its header, which needs to be as small as possible) and inter-generational pointers (IGP) handling.

Bob Rogers later made some remarks concerning IGP and the difficulty of collecting cycles. After much thought, I came up with a modification of the first design, which I called Night of the Living Dead Collection. It was just then that I realized that it was almost exactly what leo wanted to do (though a little bit more complex). We are not really one-pass anymore but almost so (back pointers need to be followed in order to make a real marking).

Other news was that I was in Paris for a week (mostly drinking guinness and trying new restaurants with friends). And of course, as a simple application of Murphy Law, my laptop AC adapter died... So I couldn't work on design documents or begin coding anymore while I was there. Fortunately, the IBM warranty guys (may they be blessed) sent me a new adapter very quickly and everything is fine again.

As a consequence, I have begun coding some things (for now only data structures), rather than producing again design documents which would not be confronted to the tough reality of parrot source code. As I don't have yet svn access (and don't know if I am supposed to commit my changes, even though they are protected by #ifdef statements), I did not add them to the parrot source code, but the thing is here for anyone to look at and comment : smallobject.h.

4 Comments:

  • Hi there 

    What does everyone think of what is going on in Iraq?

    By the way, I love that too!  Where did you get that at?  

    See you soon! Girly Girl 



    [color=#69c][url=http://online-paid-surveysioaqnns.blogspot.com]how I make money with paid surveys[/url][/color]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 22:11  

  • Good day! 

    what is your favorite color of....mine is pink!

    Wow, I've found the same to be true too!  How did you find that?  

    See you soon! Girly Girl 



    [color=#69c][url=http://paid-survey-companyyoldooxiip.blogspot.com]see how I make free money with paid online surveys[/url][/color]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 21:08  

  • Hello! 

    what is your favorite thing that oprah said about hawaii?

    By the way, I love that too!  Where did you get that at?  

    Bye, - MyGirl! 



    [color=#69c][url=online-paid-survey-yahoocomazzramlu.blogspot.com]see how I make free money with paid online surveys[/url][/color]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 04:02  

  • Online Companies will pay YOU from $5 to $125 for Each Survey!
    Get paid to participate in online focus groups $50 to $150 per hour!
    Get paid to try new products - keep the products and get paid too!
    Get paid to preview movie trailers $4 to $25 per hour!
    Get paid $5 to $95 per hour to take surveys offline!
    Get paid to travel! Earn $100's each month just for traveling!
    You get paid to drive your car $1000 to $3000 per month!spe salary suvrey
    spe salary suvrey

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 02:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home